It’s the first day of fall and, if you aren’t in California where it’s 89 degrees today, it’s a great day to indulge in some warm mulled wine.
#FunFact Mulled wine originated in 20AD. It was created by the Romans who would heat red wine, honey, spices (pepper, laurel, saffron) and dates together to defend their bodies against the cold winter. The Romans shared their #ConditumParadoxum with regions they conquered and traded with.
- 1 (750-ml.) bottle red wine
- 1 Orange, sliced into rounds, plus more for garnish
- 6 Whole cloves
- 3 Cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 3 Star anise
- 1/4 c. Honey
- 1/2 c. Brandy
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Bring to a simmer not a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer gently over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and garnish with more citrus slices and cinnamon sticks.